Learn How to Airbrush Reptiles and Amphibians For the Beginners
First I want to congratulate you in advance, for picking up this eBook, second here is good news, anyone can learn how to use an Airbrush, if this is your first time to learn the tool, don’t worry, as I explain everything right here. You just need to learn and practice all the hand control exercises in the Basic Airbrush exercises, don’t worry at first if this goes like crazy and messy, in a long run I assure you will have the skill to be a good airbrush artist. Third I have to tell you that you need to invest in a good airbrush and also an air compressor, to start an airbrush artwork, I listed it on the Materials below for the type of Airbrush and other materials needed. I also have to mention you need a lot of patience when dealing with an airbrush especially if this is your first time, so please bear with me, as you read along you will learn the type of airbrush the suits you- best bet Top feed or Side feed type for Illustration that’s a big tip for you for starters and as well professionals. So let’s start learning about airbrush by reading this, and doing the exercises to acquire this airbrush skill- “Hand Control coordination and that Trigger Finger”, and remember have fun with it.
Red-Eyed Tree Frog
This time we’re going to paint a close-up view of the Frog, so prepare your materials and follow the
instruction carefully, this time we’re going to use a tracing paper as a mask.
Again transfer the image to your working paper or board.
1. Place a tracing paper over your outline, remove the mask for the background (a.), punch a hole to the
sides of the positive mask with the puncher and place a masking tape on the holes (b.).
2. Now Spray an Ultramarine Blue= for the Upper left background take note of the gradation or the
fading effect of how you should spray, see the picture below and follow the subject picture when in
3. For the right side down, change the color in your cap with Sky Blue or Cobalt Blue 30% + Opaque
White 70%= , and spray it to that area.
4. Remove the mask, paint the leaf with Veronese Green 40% + Cadmium Green Hue 40%+ Neutral
Gray 20% + one drop of Lemon Yellow= , save this color or place it on a container after your done
spraying we need this later.
5. Let’s move in the right eye, mask it with a frisket, here’s a tip: since you’re just going to mask eye,
what I did was I measure the area of the eye and cut a piece of frisket and cut the mask for the pupil
and the outer dark area of the eye, and cover over a frisket with a rectangular hole just enough area for
the eye, by this you can save frisket film. Now Spray Black to it.
6. Do the same to the left eye, but do it lightly (few passes of spray) as the area has a soft edge.
Remove the masks and change the color in the color cup with Lemon Yellow + 2-3 drops of Opaque
White= , and spray it on the body of the frog, exclude the eyes and some areas with White highlights
and front side of the frog.
7. Now using our previous Green color that we use in the leaf, add a few drops of Red color to make it
darker, spray it to darker and shadow areas of the frog.
Also I spray lightly the front side with Light Brown= color to express the change of color as the
light turn away from that area.
8. Spray a Bright red or Red + few drops Opaque White= , spray it around the pupil, to the same to
the other eye but take note to leave some space for the highlight( since we’re going to use the white of
the paper as highlight).
9. Define the details on the eyes using Watercolor pencils, and also include some shading on the darker
areas with Green pencil on the nose, below the right eye and lip( Russet Brown).
10. Use Electric eraser to create highlights, for tight areas use Opaque White color with a small brush.
11. Now finish the rest of the details by shading areas using your Watercolor pencil.
12. For the droplets, here are the steps:
-Erase the inner area with Electric eraser, with more erasure (more white) on the highlight area.
-Then with Light Green Water color pencil, shade below the highlight
-Darken the shadow area on the side with black pencil, take note of the source of light, before shading
Do the same to the rest of the droplets.
13. Check your work for any corrections, you may darken the areas by spraying another coat of color
or lighten using a soft eraser.
As of now you notice the improvement of controlling your airbrush, and also your work.
Take a rest, after that let’s paint another exercise. read more...
Download this book and have a complete copy and do the rest of the exercises.