Learn How to Paint Landscapes Using Pastels For the Beginner
Learning to paint Landscape using Pastel is easy, if only you know how to use the right materials and
also with proper skills, these are the things you will learn from this eBook. So let me congratulate you
for picking up this eBook, for your guide in Pastels, later on as you are working with the exercises you
will notice that the techniques used are different from other artists, as it is not just rubbing the pastel in
the paper and staining your delicate hands is enough, but we will be using brushes when applying
Pastels and materials for blending which you can easily find in your home.
You will be using Shaved Pastel colors, which I will be teaching you to make and use it for our work,
also various techniques of how to blend the Pastel using single or combination of colors, including
discussion of color wheel which is very essential for every artist, and much more for you.
You have to read the book step-by-step, I mean that you can’t go to the exercises without learning the
basics and fundamental first, so you have to read the first page till the end page, for you to understand it
fully. Give your dedication or set time to read the book and work with the exercises, as you are
working with your rendering skills, it will become evident that you are getting better as you continue
working and gaining experience with it, and who knows where it will take you in the future, it will be
very bright for sure, so have fun with your Pastels- future artist.
So be ready with your materials and follow the step-by-step procedures thoroughly in the exercises.
And after that I’m sure at the end you will have Pastel Rendering skills and you will be rewarded for
that, but first “have fun doing the exercises” and be sure to check our Pastel eBook series and other
Tropical Beach Scene
As for our first challenge, you will learn how to lay Pastel Shaved color, using bright Pastel colors in
your Landscape art, so let’s start rendering this Scene.
For the outline, if you can copy the outline below to your working paper “Free Hand”, it would be
great, but if you find it hard well the solution is to transfer the outline below to your paper, using the
method I mention before in-“ Tracing Table or Light Table / Flexi-glass with Bendable Lamp”.
1. After you transferred the outline to your working paper (a.), begin by applying colors to the
background, using Blue Pastel Shaved (S.) , with your Round Brush, just fill the top and to the
middle of the area, this is the color for the sky (b.).
2. Using cotton blend the area you just colored to make the area even.
3. Add another coat of the same color on the top to make it brighter.
4. Next is to add another color: Blue-Green Pastel S. (you can mix this color by: Blue 75% and
Green 25%) to the bottom of the blue color, take note that you have to blend it with cotton or tortillon
between the two color to have a good gradation effect.
5. Now let’s work the brushes or foliage, especially on the leaves of the Coconut, first apply Yellow
Pastel S. on it, and then apply Green Pastel S. and Green Pastel Pencil (for tight areas and details)
over Yellow with Flat Brush.
6. Apply Blue Pastel S. , for the sea color and Blue-Green Pastel S. as seen in the picture below.
7. Add more details to the Coconut leaves using your Green Pastel Pencil, and don’t forget to add
highlights using Kneaded eraser or Electric Eraser.
As of now your painting should look like this.
8. Continue adding more details on the bushes or foliage on the left hand side, using Light Green and
Green(for the darker tone of the foliage) Pastel Pencils, also use Light Brown Pastel Pencil for the
details of the Coconut Trunks and other parts.
9. Let’s add the Clouds just below the sky, between the sky and the sea. Use your Eraser or Electric
Eraser to create the cloud effects.
Also apply White Pastel S. Just above the clouds, to soften the area creating a soft edge.
See your work, as this is how it look like as of now.
10. Now let’s work the sand on the left hand side, color the area using Naples Yellow Pastel S. (a.),
also create a wave effects on the sea using your Electric eraser the strokes should be that with a very
slight wiggle to create the wave effect when using an Electric eraser (b.).
11. Tone the sea color using Blue Pastel Pencil, on right hand side.
12. And for the Blue-Green Part of the sea, Add highlights using Kneaded Eraser.
13. Apply a Light Gray Pastel S. with your Round Brush on the side of the Blue-Green colored sea;
it should be between the sea shore and the Blue Green color. Also apply highlights to the waves on the
shore with Electric Eraser.
14. Apply White Pastel S. lightly on the waves; between the sea shore and the Blue-Green Sea, to
soften the Tone.
15. Add another coat of Blue-Green Pastel Pencil on the sea again, this will add tone and define it.
16. Check your work: if you need another coat of color to make it bright or dark, or you need to lighten
the color with your eraser, after that when you’re finished, Spray your work with Fixative, you may
hang your work, or put it in your Portfolio.
Download this ebook for more tips and technique "Learn How to Paint Landscapes Using Pastels For the Beginner"